16 January 2014

The Principle: a discussion part I

If you remember, I did a quick promotion of The Principle discussion that would be happening on ChurchMillitant.TV. Because I do not think it fair to write entire essays on blog comments, I have chosen to discuss a bit of my thoughts here. Bear in mind my background is physics, and I can comment a bit more on the subject than most.

First we need to start with what the coparnican principle states, and what it does not state.

def: Copernican principle: states that the Earth is not in a central, specially favored position in the universe

Of course this theory is named after Copernicus (a Catholic priest), but Copernicus did not really advocate this theory as I am presenting it to you now. (As with a lot of things named after scientists)....

As presented as such, there are problems that wouldn't be apparent to the naked eye.


  • It would seem to deny the uniqueness of the earth as Revelation has revealed to us.
  • It would seem to deny the role of man in the universe.
  • If we take this view, it would also seem to reduce the role of earth in the role of heaven and earth.
  • and various problems, that I'm afraid I do not have the time or capacity to address :p
I want to address the 2nd part of this principle as stated above first. 

That the earth is not in a specially located position in the universe. 

If you ever have the misfortune of being stuck in one of my physics classes, there are about 6 things I really expect my students to have memorized (from these 6 things, all other principles can be derived or deduced), they are as follows: 

  • Newton's Laws of Motion 
  • Law of Conservation of Energy
  • Law of Conservation of Momentum
  • 2nd Law of Thermodynamics (disorder form)
  • The difference between magnetic and electric fields and their "creation"
  • the difference between an object and a body
I'll elaborate only on a couple of points.

a. Newton's Laws of motion....The laws of motion for the most part describe motion that occurs in the universe....(at speeds much less than the speed of light)...the natural tendency of a body is to travel in a straight line (1st law), acceleration of a body is directly proportional to the force (cause) and inversely proportional to its mass (resistance or inertia) (2nd Law) and two bodies exert forces equal and opposite on each other (3rd law).

When we think of motion in a circle, there must be a force to maintain it, otherwise it will travel in a straight line. This is a very important point for anything that would have the potential to travel in a circle. In this case, orbits....The circle being the perfect 2D shape, and the sphere being the perfect 3D shape it's something to consider. The symmetry between the two shapes, I can talk about in a later blog post...but for now, all you need to know is that the two are related, a sphere being a collection of circles. (or as defined often in texts: from the center, equal radii vectors spanning in 360 degrees)

b. 2nd Law of Thermodynamics (disorder form)

Entropy is a measure of disorder...and 2nd law of thermodynamics (no, the 1st law is the one where you don't talk about the first law of thermodynamics)...states: Entropy of an isolated system never decreases.

For those of you wondering with entropy is: Entropy is the ratio of the transfer of thermal energy (heat, Q) to the temperature absolute (T)...or as a mathematical equation S = dQ/dT....but since I'm far too lazy to teach you math, and I'd much rather teach you physics....entropy is a measure of disorder....In otherwords, as I increase the temperature, things tend to break apart.

I'll connect the dots together later...this is probably going to take 4 or 5 entries to talk about :), I'll continue next week...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember you are guests, and you can be kicked out at anytime by the owner of this blog :p...Please use a name or a pseudo name to identify yourself....it makes my life easier