A few blogs and news stories have their thoughts...here, here, here here, here here
My emphasis and comments in the letter from Archbishop Gomez...and further comments below
Post Script thoughts:
1) One of the priests that was accused, I knew personally...He was pastor of the parish I was attending when my mom passed away. I would never think of him doing anything like that. It sickens me to think that....Fortunately his accusation did not occur at the parish I was attending. He was a people person...People persons bring out my extrovert radar...
2) To say that I'm surprised by any of these things, well, no, I'm not at all. The vast majority of people have known about the horrors of the situation in this archdiocese for a while. I have a feeling more will be to come.
3) I truly think the transformation of the diocese can begin...With Gabino, Mahony and Curry all gone, I think the good Archbishop will finally have a chance to direct things easier. No longer will he have to be stuck in Mahony's shadow.
4) It's very important that we pray for the archdiocese, even though I no longer call it home, I am from there, and have a deep connection to the diocese there.
5) Lastly, and most importantly, I want to thank Archbishop Gomez for this leadership step. I imagine being a Bishop is something that isn't easy (I definitely don't want the vocation)...and I imagine having to tell a brother Bishop that he's no longer welcome for public appearances is a difficult task. I am glad you're taking steps and doing all that is necessary to protect us from this happening again. Again, thank you Your Excellency. Prayers for you as always!